How lucky are we to have several local rinks for FREE indoor skating? This post highlights times available at indoor skating rinks in Moncton, Dieppe, Riverview, Petitcodiac, Hillsborough, and Shediac; we’ve included some paid options, too. Most rinks open after Thanksgiving weekend and remain open until March or April; check the source links to confirm for the ice rink you want to visit!
A reminder these are only times at the indoor ice rinks; there are also lots of outdoor skating rinks and ovals that will be open to the public, too. We also remind you that this list is based on information available on municipal websites and social media accounts; please double check the source links for updates and details on where helmets are required, etc. (This post was updated October 2019.)
FREE SKATING BY THE WEEK
- Monday: Centennial Arena preschoolers 9:45-10:45am; Shediac 9:40-10:30am; Hillsborough 10am-11am; Riverview parent & tot 1:30-2:20pm
- Tuesday: Centennial Arena preschoolers with sticks 9:45-10:45am; Riverview 12&under 3:15-4:15pm
- Wednesday: Shediac 9:40-10:30am; AJL Centre 1:30-3pm; Riverview 18&under 3:30-4:45pm; Memramcook 12:50-1:50pm
- Thursday: Centennial Arena preschoolers 9:45-10:45
- Friday: Superior Propane Centre 10am-11am; Crossman Community Centre Kay Arena 10:15am-11:15am & 3:30pm-4:30pm *unless there are tournament bookings; please check the schedule; Centennial Arena preschoolers with sticks 9:45-10:45am; Shediac 9:40-10:30am; Centennial Arena 3-4:30pm; Riverview 12&under 4pm-5:15pm; Memramcook 1-2:30pm
- Saturday: Shediac 6:35-7:35pm
- Sunday: Centennial Arena, 1-2pm; AJL Centre 2-3pm; Memramcook 11:30am-12:25pm; Petitcodiac 1pm-2:30pm free for six and under (adults $3, students $2)
FREE & PUBLIC SKATING BY LOCATION
The Superior Propane Centre (55 Russ Howard Drive) offers Parent & Tot skating Monday through Friday from 10am to 11am, and on Sundays from 9:45am to 10:45am. Cost is $2; admission is free on Fridays, but check the schedule to make sure the session hasn’t been cancelled because of a tournament.
Public skating at the Superior Propane Centre are held Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays at 3:30pm to 4:30pm, and Sundays from 11:45am to 12:45pm. Cost for each session is $2.
Parents & Tots can skate at the Crossman Community Centre Kay Arena (99 Wynwood Drive) Mondays, Wednesdays, and most Fridays from 10:15am to 11:15am. Skating on Fridays is free, but check the schedule, as some sessions are cancelled because of tournaments. There is also a free public skate (pending tournament cancellation) on Fridays from 3:30pm to 4:30pm. Public skates, $2 admission, are also held on Saturdays and Sundays from 2:30pm to 4pm.
Parents & Tots skate free at the Byron Dobson rink in Riverview on weekdays from 1:30pm to 2:30pm. Free child skating sessions for those 12 years old and under are held on Tuesdays from 3:15pm to 4:15pm and Fridays from 4pm to 5:15pm. Youth, ages 18 and under, skate free on Wednesdays from 3:30pm to 4:45pm. The rink has public staking on Saturdays from 3:45pm to 5:15pm and on Sundays from 2:30pm to 4pm; cost is $2 adult, $1 child.
Watch for special schedules during Christmas and March Break!
There are lots of opportunities to skate for free until mid-March. At the AJL Centre, family sessions are held Wednesdays from 1:30pm to 3pm, and Sundays from 2pm to 3pm.
At the Centennial Arena, families skate free on Fridays from 3pm to 4:30pm and on Sundays from 1pm to 2pm. Preschoolers skate free on Mondays and Thursdays from 9:45am to 10:45pm; a preschoolers with sticks session is held Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:45am to 10:45pm.
There will be special schedules during Christmas and March Break, as well.
Free family skating sessions are held at the Shediac Festival Arena on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:30am to 10:30am and on Saturdays from 6:35pm to 7:35pm.
The Eugene Leblanc Arena opens to adults & kids on Wednesdays from 12:50-1:50pm, and from 2-3pm. The public can also skate on Fridays, 1-2:30pm and Sundays, 11:30am-12:25pm.
You can skate each weekday lunch hour at Sackville’s Civic Centre (12pm to 1:30pm) and Sundays from 2:30pm to 3:30pm.
There are open public skates at the Petitcodiac arena on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1pm to 2:30pm, and Thursdays from 1:30pm to 2:30pm. Sunday open skate (from 1pm to 2:30pm) costs $3 for adults, $2 for students, and children six and under are free.
On Monday, preschoolers enjoy a free skate at the Hillsborough Arena between 10am and 11am. There are public skating sessions on Fridays from 8pm to 9pm, on Saturdays from 2pm to 3pm and from 8pm to 9pm, and on Sundays from 2:15pm to 3:15pm. Skating sessions are $2/person or $5/family.
Lace up your skates, grab a helmet, and enjoy all the outdoor rinks you can find!
There is an outdoor rink behind the Rotary Pavilion at Mapleton Park, as well as one at Victoria Park. The City of Moncton also partners with neighbourhood volunteers to create skating rinks in some community parks.
- Lewisville Park (45 Glenmoor Drive)
- Brentwood Park (150 Brentwood Drive)
- Prince Edward Park (25 Burlington Avenue)
- Grove Hamlet (39 Ripplewood Road)
- Canadian Heights Park (35 Chelsea Road)
- Candlewood Park (90 Candlewood Drive)
- Knox Park (75 Knox Drive)
- Maplehurst Park (115 Maplehurst Drive)
- Pauline Frizzell Park (387 Salisbury Road)
- Hamilton Heights (120 Evergreen Drive)
The City requires helmets be worn while skating.
Riverview’s Winter Wonderland outdoor park also includes a skating oval. Helmets are recommended.
Dieppe maintains two outdoor rinks at Rotary St-Anselme Park (one for skating, one for games) and the oval behind City Hall (no sticks or pucks allowed here). Skating on the oval at Place 1604 is permitted daily between 10am and 9:30pm; please note that the ice is closed between 1-1:30pm and again from 5-5:30pm for maintenance. You can borrow skates and helmets (required for children 12 and under, recommended for others) on site Fridays (6-9pm), Saturdays & Sundays (noon-4pm) until March 6, 2020. They will also be available on New Year’s Day and Family Day from noon until 4pm.
Salisbury has an outdoor skating rink, open daily depending on weather; check the Facebook page for updates. It is located on Douglas Avenue, just off Main Street.
For more outdoor fun ideas, visit our Winter Fun Round Up! (will be updated January 2020)